Thursday, January 22, 2009

Math Time

I know Nicole has tips for in-your-head addition...but this is for the kiddos who are ready for that yet.

I just got these flash cards at the dollar spot at Target. I spread them out and let Cole pick one.
Then we use cars (what else?) to figure out the addition problem. 2 cars + 3 cars = 5 cars. (Just have your child count all the cars for the answer.) Use words like "how many cars are there altogether?" It can be hard for kids to "count on" meaning they count the two cars and then move to the group with three and start counting with one again. Help them go one, two, (keep going) three, four, five.


Of course, you don't even need the flash cards. You can do addition with anything around the house or any favorite toys. (forks at dinner time, bowls at breakfast, shoes in the closet, crayons, dots of glue...) I just used the flash cards so Cole could see what addition problems look like. (You could always write it out on paper to show.)

Here we are adding cars on the car hauler...4 cars on top + 3 cars on the bottom = 7 cars altogether.

1 comments:

Amber said...

Excellent idea. We'll use monster trucks.