Saturday, January 3, 2009

Reading Tips

Most of us have children who are interested in what words say... or can read some already. Here are some things I do with Cole:

I buy this highlighter tape at a teacher store and pick a word in a story that I want Cole to learn. (Sometimes I let him pick the word.) I put the tape on the word wherever it appears in the story. (sometimes I let Cole find the word on the page after he starts to recognize the word.) Then we read the story. When we get to the highlighted word, Cole reads it if he remembers what it is. After a few pages he picks it up.

We started with the. We sang a little song to go with it...to the tune of three blind mice: t-h-e, t-h-e, the the the, the the the.

**Always point to the words when you are reading. They pick up words that way. Cole pointed to the words prize and you and read them...and I had no idea he knew those words!




Now that he knows a bunch of words, I incorporate them whenever I can. Here is today's breakfast! (mini pancakes with words on them. I let him decorate after he reads the words. you can always say "eat the pancake with the word the on it first.") We just use little tubes of icing to decorate and write on the pancakes.


Here is a video with Kindergarten sight words:



I also made a list of some sight words and some words Cole likes. We highlight the words he knows.

2 comments:

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

the highlighting tape is an AWESOME IDEA, amy!!!!!!!!!!!!

this entry rocks my socks, no doubt!

i've been wondering about pushing sophie a little more into her reading skills, and now i have some more ideas!

we have the "bob" books, but she starts to memorize them, so that's not really helping her learn...

great ideas!

Amber said...

It's working!!! I did the highlighter tape and he's getting it. Thanks for the tip. Keep'em coming.

Nic's right, I have to get new books because has memorized all of his old ones.