Wednesday, April 1, 2009

That Little ****!

Cole has trouble making some sounds and saying some words. He is doing really well at speech class...he improved in all areas on his new report card. Of course we are always working at home, but a lot of times he doesn't want to say the words right.

Alright, you gotta know your audience. Cole loves to buy cars...so I told him anytime I catch him saying a word correctly I will give him a coin to put in his bank. Immediately he goes "Hummer. Do I get a coin now?" I explained that I have to catch him saying the word throughout the day. He just starts saying words... the right way! So I gave him a coin. I went through all my coins, but found out that he could say "Hummer, remember, five, off, roof,burp," and some other words! (he used to say: Humm-ay, remem-bay, fibe, op, roop, bayp.)

**My friend Lori is doing something cool with her kids to manage behavior. At the beginning of the week she puts quarters in their special cups. Anytime they misbehave or don't listen or whatever, she takes a quarter. At the end of the week they can take their quarters and buy something or save it for another time. We are starting it with Cole. He thinks he is our equal and tries to put us in Time-Out and take away our stuff when we don't do what he says. We remind him that he is the child and we are the adults and it is his job to listen to us and we don't have to do what he says...but the boy isn't having any of it. He points his finger at us and tells us what he wants us to do. It is funny sometimes..."Dad, I told you. You need to listen to what I say." And it is cute sometimes..."Mum, I am so proud of you. You listened to what I said."

Hopefully the little boss will learn his place in this family...and get some cars along the way.

0 comments: